Following the recent local floods on the 23rd/24th December 2020, a list of organisations contactable in the event of extreme rainfall and resultant flooding has now been put together.
There are many reasons why flooding occurs. If you know of any blocked ditches, culverts or other flood related problems, kindly send details including the area/s affected, to the Clerk to the Parish Council, to assist your Parish Council in compiling data of problem areas. Please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org– your information will be treated confidentially.
Below is a list of agencies you can contact if we have extreme rainfall again. The list is by no means exhaustive but we feel there is enough information for you to put into your address books or mobile phones.
You can sign up with the Environment Agency for useful advice and alerts. They list all the advice you need to help make your home safe from flooding.
Organisations responsible for flood warnings and who are able to provide assistance in areas affected by floodwater:-
- Issues flood warnings for flooding from rivers, the sea and groundwater
- Receives and records details of flooding incidents.
- Monitors the situation and advises other organisations.
- Deals with emergency repairs and blockages on main rivers and own structures.
- Responds to pollution incidents
Norfolk County Council.
- Co-ordinates emergency arrangements.
- Maintains safe conditions on the roads.
- Puts floodwater signs on the highway.
- Organises road closure and traffic closures.
- Clears blockages on highway drainage systems.
- May take action to protect property from flooding by water from the highway where there is a failure of the highway drainage system.
EMERGENCY NUMBERS AND ADDRESSES
ENVIRONMENT AGENCY (EA)
FLOODLINE 0345 988 1188 or gov.uk/flood.
E.A. INCIDENT LINE e.g., POLLUTION 0800 80 7060
SOUTH NORFOLK DISTRICT COUNCIL 01508 533633
NORFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL – BLOCKED GULLIES & SURFACE WATER FLOODING: 0344 800 8020
SEWAGE PROBLEMS: ANGLIA WATER SERVICES: 03457 145145
ALL INCIDENTS OF FLOODING REPORT TO Lead Local Flood Authority: email@example.com
Property owners who have had internal flooding which is verified by us are able to apply for a grant of up to £5000 for flood protection and resilience measures. More information can be found on our website: Flood protection grants – Norfolk County Council
SANDBAGS can be purchase from Builders Merchant & filled with sand or soil:
CTS, Pulham Market, 18-24 Mill Lane, IP21 4TN, Tel. 01379 415161
Ridgeons Victoria Rd. Diss, Tel.641414
Jewsons, Victoria Rd. Diss, Tel. 643531